Why Join The Merriam Team?
Apply Now (all positions)
id=”157748284″ source=”vimeo” width=”450″ height=”255″ autoplay=”yes”]
- See your unique contributions come to life.
- Be a part of a growing, dynamic team of creative, musical, and administrative professionals
- Feel the satisfaction of making a positive difference every day.
- “For more than 25 years, Merriam Music has been unleashing the music inside thousands of individuals and families. Our reputation for excellence in music education, instrument retail and leading edge innovation is legendary in the music industry and it’s all because of the great people who work here. If you have uncompromising personal and professional integrity, are highly motivated to be part of an amazing team and have the energy and work ethic to really make a difference, you’ll love working at Merriam Music!” – Alan Merriam
Hear From Our Employees
Merriam School of Music is hiring Summer camp staff for our 2019 camp season.
We are looking for energetic and enthusiastic individuals to join our summer camp team! Enjoy a summer teaching music in a fun, friendly atmosphere with rewarding, character building work experiences!
Salary and Work Schedule
- Seasonal (start July 8, 2019); Monday-Friday 8:45am to 4:45pm; extended care shifts available starting 8am until 6pm
- Attends and fully participates in all pre-camp training & staff meetings
- Acts as a positive role model for children, youth and fellow staff
- Provides direct supervision to a group of children every day (ratio 1:8)
- Plans and delivers fun, age appropriate programs as outlined during training and by the Supervisor
- Builds rapport and manages group behavior to ensure an emotionally and physically safe environment for children and youth
- Ensures the delivery of high quality camp programs while ensuring safety
- Fully and enthusiastically participates in all camp activities, including all program and special events
- Recognizes the uniqueness and interests of all children and youth and assists them to successfully achieve their goals at camp
- Models appropriate behavior in all interactions with co-workers, other YMCA staff and the public, ensuring behavior aligns with Merriam’s core values at all times
- Accesses program resources and seeks support from Supervisor to ensure the delivery of a wide range of age appropriate programs for children and youth
- Ensure all communication with co-workers, families, partners, other Merriam staff and the public is professional and courteous at all times
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain and deal with sensitive and confidential situations with professionalism
- Maintain attendance of the participants
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Have professional experience and post-secondary education on your musical instrument or area of expertise
- Experience planning and leading programs for children and youth
- Emergency First Aid and CPR ‘C’ prior to the first day of camp
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Strong team work and leadership skills
- Experience working within a summer day camp or residential day camp program is an asset
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume with a subject line”Summer Day Camp Counsellor”.
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with Merriam School of Music. We thank all applicants and only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
You are great with people and can easily build relationships. You love the challenge of converting potential clients into actual clients through your understanding of and commitment to respectful and strategic communication techniques. You are motivated by working toward targets both individually and within a team environment and are inspired to provide an overall exceptional experience to everyone you meet.
You are great with people and can easily build relationships. You love to problem solve and are great on your feet when faced with a customer issue. Your ability to listen diffuses conflict and emotional situations quickly and you take pride in turning these situations into positive experiences for customers. You are confident when addressing customers on your own and enjoy sharing your successes and challenges with other team members. Overall you are inspired to provide an overall exceptional experience to customers and team members alike.
We’re seeking individuals who have experience or a keen interest in professional sales to help grow our team. Although a musical background is an asset, we are interested in speaking to people of all sales backgrounds and experience levels. Merriam Pianos offers exciting room for growth and competitive earning potential. As a full-time sales representative, you would be expected to participate in many of the day-to-day operations and activities of the piano department, build and maintain a base of customers, and take part in promotion and marketing efforts as needed.
If you have the technical skills to service and maintain pianos, and a gift for translating technological jargon to layman’s language this could be a job for you. As a full time technician and piano expert you will perform a wide variety of tasks which include tuning and servicing pianos, dealing with customer service related issues, helping customers find new and used pianos for their homes, and working through our comprehensive training program. Piano geeks only please!
You are an accomplished musician who understands the value of inspiriting young minds. You love to share your passion of music in an organized and structured way that still allows for your unique delivery style to flourish. You can easily translate complex musical ideas into easy to access language and concepts that students of any age can relate to. You want to be part of a larger music community of professionals who play, teach and innovate. You want to be a part of the progressive development of the next generation of musicians and music lovers.
Background and Needs
Merriam Music, founded in 1988, is one of the largest music education and retail companies in Canada, with 3500 + weekly students, and the largest piano unit sales of any retailer in Canada. Merriam Music is engaged in a number of digital development initiatives which require us to foster and acquire new talent in the areas of digital content production and marketing, amongst others.
Merriam Music is seeking contract / part-time candidates for ongoing project work, with relevant education and experience and any or all of the following skill sets:
- Graphic Design
- Web Page Design
- Web UX / UI
Additional experience in digital marketing and general working familiarity with various online marketing practices including conception, construction, and management of marketing funnels, traffic aggregation and interception strategies, and paid advertising platforms such as Google Adwords, Facebook Ads, Adsense, or Amazon Affiliate Programs are considered a benefit, but not required for application.
Job Requirements and Description:
The candidate will be required to work directly with the Digital Marketing and Development Manager on the conception, production, and maintenance of a wide portfolio of graphical UI/UX online assets, including merriammusic.com and all affiliated and related digital environments.
This may include, but not limited to:
- Landing Pages
- Visual Advertising Collateral of every type for use within social assets and advertising engines
- Online and Offline CTA’s generally including posters, mailers, and strategic communications
- Other graphic needs as they arise from within any department of the Merriam Music eco-system
The candidate will be required to work within specified deadlines and conform to the format needs, submission methods, and in some cases the production and collaboration work flows as directed
The candidate must be able to thrive within a dynamic, excellence-focused, and results-driven environment.
Successful candidates must be able to work in both isolated as well as group environments, and be strongly project and goal oriented.
Candidates would report directly to the Digital Marketing and Development Manager, with occasional reporting responsibilities to the Director of Sales and Strategic Marketing.
This position has a portion of flexible and fixed hours, as well as some flexibility in work location. The candidate would have fixed reporting times and locations when meeting with team members and managers.
Relevant post-secondary education in any of the areas of graphic design, marketing and communications (of any field), production or broadcasting, or fine arts, and at least 2 years of relevant work experience
5 years of relevant graphical UX / UI work experience, regardless of past education
Candidates must have relevant past work which can be submitted as a part of this application, either as a digital portfolio (.pdf, .zip), online portfolio, or a succinct list of links to online published work that can easily be accessed and verified.
Applicants must specify whether they are interested in contract/occasional work, or full-time work.
Applicants must supply at least 2 references of clients or past employers from the previous 36 months only.
Applicants must be able to travel to 2359 Bristol Circle, Oakville, ON, for both interviews, as well as regular meetings and contact points with managers, team members, and directors.
Apply Now (all positions)
Other Positions At Merriam
We’re always seeking top talent out. Even if we’re not currently hiring for these positions, we still review EVERY single resume to see if there’s a possible fit within our company.
You are fast, detailed, and excited by the inside operations of a business. Although you enjoy working behind the scenes, you also like to get out and talk to customers and other staff in order to streamline and support as comprehensively as possible. You love diversity in the tasks that you do and you value the ability to contribute to a seamless customer experience.
You are great with people and enjoy teaching people about technology, and being around music. Basic piano skills, past customer service experience is an asset, and a passion for bringing the gift of music to potential customers is a must. If you are looking for the ultimate job while finishing up high-school or post-secondary education this could be the perfect job for you.
If you have the technical skills to service and maintain pianos, and a gift for translating technological jargon to layman’s language this could be a job for you. As a full time technician and piano expert you will perform a wide variety of tasks which include tuning and servicing pianos, dealing with customer service related issues, helping customers find new and used pianos for their homes, and working through our comprehensive training program. Full time job opportunities are available for qualified candidates. Piano geeks only please!
If you have the technical skills and experience to participate in recording sessions and assist our some of the top studio engineers in Canada, this could be a job for you. As a part time studio engineer and technology expert you will perform a wide variety of tasks which include assisting our productions department in recording, our video log program, dealing with customer service related issues, working with potential clients, and working through our comprehensive training program. Recording and studio experience required.
If you have a passion for providing excellent customer service, connecting with people and enjoy problem solving, you’ll love working as a Bookstore and Service Manager.
Only recently have people started to depend on social media more than traditional means to connect them with other people, and find what they are looking for. Facebook, twitter, linked in, and even sites like Kijiji have changed the way the world work. If you enjoy being part of a company who’s mission is to “unleash the power of music FOR LIFE” and want to help spread the word through social media, this could be the perfect job for you.