Long before you even sit down to try the GX-5 BLAK grand piano, one is already impressed with the overall design of the piano.
From the sleek spade legs with beautiful brass casters to the beveled edges on the cabinet. From the hard finish music rack to protect scratching from books to the exquisite exterior design, this is a piano that exudes class. You will see vertically laminated bridges, duplex scaling, a double-wide stretcher-bar which is designed to add power to the piano, and even an ulta-slow ‘soft-fall’ fallboard which drops elegantly over the keys to close.
And when you sit down and strike your first keys, you will notice there is clearness in the treble and warmth and clarity in the bass. The action plays like butter – responsive to your touch. The Millenium III carbon fiber action plays so quickly and precisely to even your most demanding repetitions.
The balance of the tone is superb and the extended length in the key-sticks gives you the surprising control of a much larger piano.
Yes, this piano is pure magic! From the impeccable design to the outstanding performance, it is a ‘must-have’ grand piano that you will want to sit and play, again and again, and again.
- Kawai’s Exclusive Millennium III Action – Featuring ABS-Carbon Technology with Carbon Fiber
- Exclusive NEOTEX™ Key Surfaces – With moisture-absorbing properties for greater touch control
- Konsei Katagi Rim – Utilizing a blend of distinctive hardwoods to achieve an ideal balance of tone
- Vertically Laminated Bridge with Solid Maple Cap – For enhanced energy transfer
- Elegant Appointments – Brass Lid Prop and Cups, Brass Finials on Plate, Beveled Lid Edges, Spade Legs
- Hard Finish Music Desk – To preserve the piano’s beauty
- Stretcher Over-Lap Integrated Design (SOLID) – Double-width Stretcher Bar for optimum strength
- Extended Length Keysticks – For more even response from the front to the back of each key
- Concert-Length Key Buttons – Doubled in length to provide maximum energy transfer and optimum power
- Solid Spruce Precision Tapered Soundboard – Permanently crowned for long-term stability
- Advanced Scale Designs – Created in the Shigeru Kawai Research and Development Laboratory
- Dual-Duplex Scaling – For added tonal richness
- Multi-Grip Pin Block – Laminated with 11 plies
- Solid Brass Agraffes – For even string spacing and easier tuning
- Steel-Reinforced, Multi-Laminated Keybed – For strength and optimum energy transfer
- Steel-Reinforced Keyslip – For strength and stability that avoids sticking keys
- V-Pro Plate – Gray Iron with “Crossbone” Design
- Ultra-slow “Soft Fall” Fallboard Closing System
- Adjustable Artist Bench (Polished Ebony finish only)
- KAWAI Ten Year FULL Transferable Manufacturer’s Warranty
Kawai has worked for decades perfecting their amazing Millenium III action. Over 40 years ago Kawai started using ABS Stryan and then combined this with carbon fiber to give the action speed, strength, and durability that is world-renowned.
The biggest advantage with carbon fiber is the fact this material is not affected by humidity or heat and is super light and strong. It is used in Boeing 777 planes, sports equipment, formula one cars, bridges, world-class racing bicycles. This means that the Millenium III action is built to last and will give you years and years of trouble-free performance, strength, and quickness.
While musicians know that the feel of the action is so important – the tone is equally if not more critical. The tone is the “soul” that allows the artist to make the piano speak with depth, color, richness, and subtle splashes of complex harmonics that create life and allow the performer to get ‘lost’ in the experience. The Kawai GX5 allows you to do just that.
The tone on this piano can be subtle, almost playful, when playing with very light and quiet levels and yet can produce the thunder of a runaway train, with no distortion, just sheer power that the player demands and expects with an instrument of this quality.
Built for an exceptional range of musical requirements, this Kawai grand piano is a ‘must-play’ for anyone looking for a performance instrument. Whether it is a Steinway B or an Estonia L210 – the Kawai GX5 can hold its own to any piano of this size.
Using only premium double-felted hammers that are t-fastened to a mahogany core – the Kawai hammer’s in conjunction with the Millennium III action gives the player complete control to bring out the resplendent tone as all parts work in synergy to create the ultimate musical experience.
The soundboard is known as the heart of the piano and it is designed to transfer the vibrations of the piano’s string into clear, deep, and rich tones. Kawai uses only straight-grained, quarter-sawn solid spruce for GX series soundboards.
The straighter and closer the grains on the soundboard, the richer and clearer the sound. To get this straighter grain Kawai uses only the finest spruce, grown at the highest altitudes which grow at a very slow rate. These high altitude trees give you these straight grains which is essential to an instrument of this quality
Then add the tapered design, which means the soundboard is thicker in the middle, getting progressively thinner as it reaches the edges, and you have a soundboard that Kawai deems worthy.
The exclusive Konsei Katagi rim uses a blend of distinctive hardwoods to achieve an ideal balance of tone. For the inner rim, small-pored hardwoods that provide superior brightness and projection are inter-laminated with dense, large-pored hardwoods offering warmth and fullness. This synergy of structurally divergent hardwoods produces a powerful, well-rounded richness of tone that is the hallmark of Kawai pianos.