This article includes the necessary things you will need to start, some hat tips on caring and maintenance of your instrument, and a lot more to help you get in the groove.
All your doubts on how to begin your preparation for learning the instrument will be clarified. Read the steps mentioned in the article carefully and you’ll be on your way to glory!
Gather Necessary Equipment
Here is a list of everything you will need to start. Make sure you have all this before you start so you can practice without any obstructions.
- Get a Violin: The first thing on your list should be to procure a good violin. You should stick to a beginner’s class violin rather than a professional one. The difference between the students and a professional violin is that of the wood it is made from. While professional violins are expensive students violin are made keeping in mind the cost saving measures. Make sure you purchase one with a violin bow and a case. Visit an experienced violin store and buy one for learning purposes after consulting with the dealer.
- Violin Rosin: Violin rosin is a toughened tree sap that you use on your bow every time before you practice. The rosin is an essential item you will need so that the bow grips your violin string properly. If you don’t use rosin your bow will simply slide here and there without sticking to the strings.
- Shoulder Rest: The next thing on our list is a violin shoulder rest. The shoulder rest lets you play the violin for any period of time without causing stress in your neck shoulder. Choose the rest carefully depending upon the length of your neck. Most of these are adjustable and should be able to accommodate your neck length. The main purpose of this rest is to purge any strain on your neck and shoulder.
- A Music Stand and a Violin Music Sheet for a Beginner: Choose a stand that suits your violin. A stand will make sure your violin is not lingering here and there.
The next thing is a music sheet. As you will be required to learn how to read music in order to play various pieces, we recommend you to get music sheets that are designed for beginners. Most of the repertoire, fiddle, or classical are difficult for beginners to comprehend, so just make sure you are buying the one designed for beginners.
- A Steady Chair: The last thing you will need to complete the pre-requisites of learning violin is a sturdy, non-rolling and armless chair. It is vital to your learning that you are comfortably seated and for that you need an armless chair.
Some Tips for Maintaining Your Violin
Caring for your instrument is extremely important since you want it to be with you in the long journey. Clean it with a fine instrument cloth regularly. Dust can make the string of your violin hard and cause it to not play properly.
Always set your violin with the strings on the upside. Never keep anything on top of your violin as it can but pressure on the strings and it can damage your instrument.
Change the strings of your violin every year. You can utilize help from your teacher when it comes to changing the strings or even approach a music instrument store owner or sales pro to do it for you if you are not confident about it.
Get a metronome for tuning your violin. It will not be possible for you to tune your violin initially without a metronome. It is a device that analyses your violin’s pitch and tunes it to play perfectly. You will need it in the beginning until you get used to the perfect sound of the instrument.
Understand the violin anatomy. It is necessary that you understand how a violin works. Check out this video for a better understanding.
Once you have accumulated all of the above, now is the time for action. You are now ready to start practice. Learn how to read music sheets since it will enable you to understand how to play various solos and pieces you would love to play.
Go through some of the basic beginner lessons, they will help you get the hang of the instrument and help you speed up your progress.
Hope this article helps you in understanding the basics of learning the violin. Happy learning!!
Featured Image: Image Credit
Did you know J. Cole is ill on the violin? https://t.co/jJq7ba4hlG
— XXL Magazine (@XXL) August 21, 2016
That violin at the end of Invisible ???
— nadi (@outerspacedluek) August 21, 2016
Using Violin Strings to Learn Key Signatures
Hi, Emily. Do you know your key signatures?
Noo..I always get confused, and besides the circle of fifths scares me. It’s so big and complicated.
Yes, I understand why you are having trouble. It will take about two minutes to teach you nine key signatures representing 18 keys so you never forget them. That’s the first nine out of twelve in the circle of fifths.
What? In two minutes? That’s impossible.
No, it’s not, but we need a little extra time first to go over some basic stuff before the easy memorizing. Let’s start from the beginning: Via Violinist
Bow down: Learning the violin is a lesson in humility
I held my breath and drew the bow across the strings. I was rewarded with some sweet notes, sprinkled with a few thin, random ones I wasn’t aiming for at all. Meanwhile, the tip of my bow had drifted off course toward the violin’s neck. Sigh.
My teacher, Chris, stared at my right hand. He handed me a pencil. “Try holding this like you would the bow,” he said, and my heart sank. Not the pencil again.
Learning to play the violin as an adult is an exercise in humility.
Not only is there the frustration of doing something over and over and still not getting it right, but there is the mathematical reality that no matter how hard you practice, it really is too late to truly master an instrument beyond playing — like a language learned later in life — with a pronounced accent. Via Ottawa Citizen
Your kids should learn violin a whole new way, says this world-class musician. How? Put America first.
Think of Mark O’Connor’s head as a funnel.
Into it has streamed half a century of bluegrass, folk, classical music, flamenco, jazz, country, world music, Cajun songs and blues. Out of it pour melodies sweet as warm shortbread and flowing as a thoroughbred’s stride, concertos and quartets and a symphony, hot licks of all persuasions – and a belief that “Boil ’Em Cabbage Down” might be the essential song of all time. Via Charlotte Observer